Publishing and sharing content individually from the Media Library works well for a single video, but a playlist lets you create a collection of content for a website, LMS, CMS or Blog. Once a playlist is created, Ensemble Video users can Publish items in their Media Library and Shared Library to their Playlist. Finally, Playlists are also used in Ensemble Video Portals.
Creating a New Playlist
Browse to the Library that will be the source of the playlist, then click the Playlists button in the navigation column, then click Add.
There are several options when adding a playlist. Users are required to enter a playlist name. Then, users will choose a playlist layout and determine the playlist settings.
(1) Name: Enter a name for the playlist, this is required. You can also upload a logo image, or enter a URL for a custom logo for the playlist.
(2) Playlist Layout: Choose one of the pre-configured playlist templates in the Playlist Layout area. View the Playlist Layout Examples.
(3) Logo: Upload or enter a URL for a custom logo for the playlist (optional).
(4) Enable Download: If you want to allow viewers to download the media file of the content they are viewing, click the Enable Download checkbox.
(5) Enable Playlist: The Enable Playlist checkbox must be checked for viewers to view the content on the playlist, it is checked by default. This can be useful when you want to disable playback for some reason.
You will be returned to the Playlists menu, where your new playlist has been created:
Managing a Playlist
As seen in the image above, there are several ways to utilize and share a playlist.
- View Playlist: Preview the playlist.
- Customize & Embed: Embed codes are available to embed content in an LMS, CMS, Blog or Webpage. See the Customize & Embed article for more information.
- Create Permalink: Create a static URL for the playlist that can be viewed by and shared to anyone. Click the Create Permalink button to generate the URL. Two new buttons will replace the Create Permalink option:
- Click the Permalink button to get the static URL or configure the permalink. Configuring a Permalink for a Playlist has the same steps and options as Configuring the Permalink for an Individual Video.
- Click the Delete Permalink button to delete the Playlist Permalink.
- Categories: Categories enable you to organize your playlist content. Categories are especially useful when publishing to the Ensemble Video Portal.
- Auto-Publish: Using Auto-Publishing, content in a specific Media Workflow (e.g. a Watch Directory or Dropbox) can be automatically published to playlists when it arrives in the Media Library.
- Access Control: Limit access to just Ensemble Users, or restrict playback to a specific Domain or IP. See Playlist Access Control for more information.
- Sort: Define a sort order for the playlist, for details on this see Sorting Playlist Content
- Visual Unpublish: Easily un-publish video(s) from a playlist using the Visual Unpublish feature.